Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hhurm

I went to a really good lecture on insomnia today.  I know, I know a lecture on Insomnia?  Wouldn't that put you to sleep well, yes and no....I took a friend of mine that is in serious need of some heavy duty medical help.  She can barely walk and as a result of being hit by a car on her bike has a spinal injury that even four months later she STILL has not seeked out medical care for which begs the question, is it really as bad as she says?  Anyway, I wanted to take her to this lecture not only because I think she would benefit from it but also to show her that there are other options out there health wise rather than waiting for a doctor to call. 

I have to say, after the class I was a bit disappointed at her response to it.  She didn't seem that interested almost skeptical.  When I asked her what she thought of the lecture her response was, well, it's common sense.  Yes, she's right, but that's not what I was hoping she would've gotten out of the lecture.  Me, personally, I got some great new advice on how to manage my own insomnia that I intend to apply. 

On the drive home I kept my thoughts to myself but what I really wanted to say is after OVER 10 years of me feeling like crap off and on, battling depression, and excessive weight-gain, and vertigo this is the FIRST time anyone in the medical arena has not discounted my feelings!  Usually when I see a doctor of western medicine the knee jerk reaction is to stick a needle in me and test test test...I think I've had so many tests done and so much blood drawn that I probably should apply for the Guinness Books World Record.  O.k. maybe not go that far.  But in the few short months that I've been seeing my Ayurvedic Doctor, attending classes, and applying what I'm being taught more and more to my daily ritual I have definitely felt a shift.   My diet is changing, my outlook on things are changing, my behavior is changing, I've found that I have to start wearing a belt with my jeans, and for 2 weeks now I haven't felt the need to take one of my "happy pills".

Shortly before dropping her off I declared...you can have your opinion, but for me this is saving me.  It's the only thing that hasn't given me false hope of feeling better.  I'm not just dismissed and told nothing is wrong and it's all in my head.  A late 30 year old woman should NOT feel like she's 60.  80 lb. weight gain in a little over a year is NOT normal, crying every day for no reason is NOT normal.  Being winded after climbing four flights of stairs is NOT normal.  This Whimpy Pallav is reclaiming what years of depression, weight-gain, and disappointment from western medicine has taken from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment