I lived on the East Coast for most of my childhood and would frequent the Washington DC area. We would usually take the train in and would snicker to myself every time we would encroach "Foggy Bottom". We spent many hours at the Smithsonian and the usual haunts but one particular outing included a trip to the White House during Christmas time. I was a small six year old and usually needed help to see things in large crowds (somethings never change).On this particular day it was just my mom and I and it was the lighting of the Christmas tree. We were about ten rows back and I could just barely make out First Lady Rosalynn Carter through the curtain of people in front of us. I remember telling my mom that I couldn't see very well but there was really nothing she could do about it. Then it happened......
Out of nowhere this alabaster hand bejeweled with blood red talons reaches in, grabs my arm, pulls me away and shoves me in the front of the crowd. The next 10 min is a bit of blur because i just stood there crammed in with a bunch of other kids thinking to myself "WTF just happened!?" After the pictures were taken, speeches made, and all other plesantries were over everyone dispersed and when i found my mom a massive meltdown ensued. I remember crying my eyeballs out! It wasn't until later was it explained to me that they wanted more children in the front of the crowd and without even asking my mom some White House intern just grabbed me and stuck me in the front. I guess looking back I should be grateful that I was given this opportunity but as a plucky six year old this just translated to be a very scary experience.
Why am I telling you this? No particular reason. Do I need a reason?
No comments:
Post a Comment