Saturday, May 26, 2012

Chop, Cook, Love

I had some free time today (ha ha ha) so i sat down with some home made guacamole and blue chips and watched one of those infomercials that promises to cut time and eliminate 15 cooking devices while all along making claims to keep the nutrients in the that boiling vegetables removes, well, yes they do if you boil them to the point where they are left a mushy grey mess, as the "show" illustrated then enthusiastically exclaim how the meal is soooooooooo good leaving us, the viewer, to only take their word for it.  Did you ever notice not one of them uses herbs or spices?  While watching this infomerical I was reminded of the guacamole that i had just made.  I cut the avocado and squished it, chopped the garlic, squeezed the lemon, put salt & pepper  and added a few other spices that made it that much more yummy.

While i sat watching this butchery of a cooking show I began to think of myself why is it so bad to spend the extra 10-20 minutes to make what ultimately is going to sustain you?  I'm all for saving time and space in my small kitchen but there is something to be said for taking the time to chop the onions (no matter how much they make you cry), peel the ginger, boil the water, and stand and watch your culinary concoction come to fruition.  Using spices like cumin, turmeric, and ginger not only make the food that much more medicinal but helps your digestion.

When you take the time to chop the ingredients and prep the meal not only are you ensured that what is going into your meal is healthy but there's one ingredient that is so important that is never mentioned in any recipe.  That is love.  The intention of love in your meal is not only soul boosting but it makes that meal so much better than any infomerical could describe.  That intention of nourishing not only in your body but the bodies of your loved ones is an ingredient that never gets stale, never goes rancid, nor never reaches an expiration date.

So this Whimpy Pallav is left with the thought...yes, everyone wants to save time in this world of instant gratification and wanting things faster and more efficient but there really is no substitute for having the peace of mind that what you are putting in your body is coming from a place of love.

1 comment:

  1. This is why *most* of the time I don't use a Kitchenaid mixer. I try to do everything by hand. Except when I have to bake A LOT -- then I have to call in reinforcements.

    ReplyDelete