Monday, April 2, 2012

Kharma

I'm a firm believer in Kharma. It's a great thing to have when you have hit rock bottom and there is nowhere else to go but up yet at the same time it can be the straw that breaks the camels back. Kharma's been pretty good to me. I have a roof over my head, the car is fully paid off, I have managed to keep my job in this economic nightmare, the universe has given me back some amazing,smart,cracktastic friends, and besides a non existent love life, I've got it pretty good.

On my way to work this morning I stopped off at the friendly neighborhood bagel shop to get some breakfast. On the counter they had the usual "tip cup" placed strategically next to the cash register. On that cup they had a sign that read "Tips (GOOD KHARMA)" WTH! How is guilting someone into giving you a tip "GOOD KHARMA". Good Kharma for whom? Excluding your normal tipping etiquette, tips should be given without reservation and or expectation from the both parties. Things like tipping or helping a friend out or just doing random acts of kindness should not be done with hidden agendas. You should want to do them just because it's there. I have two words for those that expect Kharmic acts to be returned in kind that word is "bean counting". I did for you, now you do for me. That's not how Kharma works. You do because you want to not because you have to or feel that now you are owed something in return.

I realize now that my reaction to their sign was not helping me gain any more good Kharma but by not putting anything in the tip jar was that promoting bad Kharma? Personally, I don't think so. It's a catch 20 situation. There's a Buddhist saying "This too shall pass" like Kharma, this can be understood to not let things bother you that in the grand scheme of things, it's just a small piece to a bigger outcome. It can also be understood to mean don't take things for granted, it can and will be taken away at any moment.

A wise woman reminded me today that "How others treat you is their kharma... how you react is yours". As one of my New Year resolutions, this is one item that I'm going to work on.

1 comment:

  1. Funny we were just talking to the kids about Kharma. Because we fully believe in it at our house and want to teach our kids the same.

    And I hate those tip jars.

    ReplyDelete