Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Cancer

To offset the fact that i have no social life, probably never will, I have decided to delve myself even deeper into the knowledge of healing the mind, body and soul.  With this I attended a one day lecture on Ayruvedic practices and cancer prevention.  Having a father, grandfather, and stepfather all diagnosed with some form of cancer; the disease is not a new term or concept for me and i refuse to succumb to the assumption that I'm also a high risk candidate.  I'm really glad I went to this lecture.  Some of what was discussed was not new material for me, some was, and some, I was surprisingly and gratefully reassured that without my knowing I was already on the road to a cancer free life.

According to Ayruvedic principles the #1 cause for cancer is stress.  Living in a society of the gotta have it nows, my toy is bigger, badder, and has more trinkets as well as one belief being that success is defined by how much money you have can be taxing on one and interfere with what is more of a Sattvic lifestyle.

There was a lot shared but here are just a few take aways:

-In the sea of life Ayruveda shows us how to keep our heads above the waves and stay with the current by adjusting our thoughts, eating and physical being....in other words, the instructor prescribed us with a healthy dose of "Just keep swimming" (reminds me of a certain absent minded blue fish)

-Practicing yoga or meditation 45 min before you start your day and 45 min before you go to bed not only grounds you for the day but settles your monkey mind for a restful sleep

-Eating more seasonally appropriate foods and preferably vegetarian (but who am I kidding, I love a good steak now and then) accompanied with garnishes such as cilantro, methi (which is sanskrit for Fenugreek), and chutneys help digest your meal and clears out the pallet.

-With food Spices such as garlic, tumeric, cumin, asafetida (but just a pinch this stuff is potent!), Onion, cardamom, coriander and ginger all help in their own special way.

-Drinking warm water or herbal teas (green tea in particular) are good substitutes for the thirst. 

-Some after food spices are things like fennel, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger.  You can also use some of the same spices noted for putting into your meal.

This Whimpy Pallav walked way with some nuggets of wisdom and a new regimen to her diet and lifestyle.  You better watch out because i will be carrying a supply of Cancer arsenal and you might just get a pultice full of tumeric shoved down your throat...


but I mean that in the most sattvic way

No comments:

Post a Comment